“The Road To 4.5” is designed for USTA rated 4.0 players, helping them add strategies and techniques that are used in 4.5 match play.
What is it: 2-hour sessions with instructions and drills. Sessions will focus on specific techniques and/or strategies to get you on your way to being a 4.5 level player.
Perfect for: Current USTA 4.0 rated Men & Women
Instructor: Local pro Tim Connolly
Date & Times: Saturdays - November 10 from 10am – 12pm @ SF State
Cost: Each session is $20 for new members (less than 6 months) and $25 for current members.
Limit 8 people.
Part 1: Slice-Serve to the Backhand, from outside
Why: standing out wide has us in the perfect defense to defend the return of serve. But that might not be conducive for me serving to a backhand. In this clinic, we learn how to do both.
This is a counter-strategy to the serve-and-volley strategy.
• review the toss, and how the toss will evolve to execute this serve strategy.
• review what the swing motion should look like in the swing zone to execute this precise serve strategy.
• work on being comfortable serving from a new spot on the baseline.
Part 2: Return and come into the net
Why: 4.5 doubles is about executing the 2-up format in about 90% of the points. Each player needs be able to pull this off, not just your doubles partner.
This is also a counter strategy to the serve and volley strategy.
• how to use the serve as an approach shot
• how to use a modified swing / blocked shot
• how to volley after hitting a softer approach shot
For new members (less than 6 months), email TennisPrograms@gltf.org for promotion code.
For Questions, please email TennisPrograms@GLTF.org